Thursday, December 20, 2007

Is Dewey Excluding Our Patrons?


As I led a very nice (and very loud) 15 year old over to the Oragami section of the library today, I wondered to myself “Is the Dewey Decimal system, for all it’s positives, an exclusive system that disenfranchises our patrons in the quest for knowledge?”

This might seem a little heavy for a routine trip to the stacks, but really, most patrons don’t understand Dewey and they have to come to us to 1) find out where the secret code says the treasure is and 2) help them decode the clue once we find it. I know its purpose isn’t at all to make patrons confused, but unless they know how to use it (and most don’t) that puts us, librarians, in the position of ultimate knowledge dispenser. But isn't that my job? Of course, I just wish I could empower patrons more in their quest for information. Perhaps the Dewey Decimal System (a series of numbers that correspond with various topics in specific locations on the shelf, oft times without really making logical sense – check out the 700’s) creates a system where patrons are required to access information via a map reader (us) instead of being able to navigate the system on their own. Marx would cry Hegemony! but that seems a little too far for me. …and patrons could just…you know…learn how to read numbers from low to high…

I’m not saying that I’m in favor of switching over to bookstore style organization for non-fiction as a few libraries throughout the country have done, but I am interested in ways of making libraries more user friendly.