Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Que Triste!

So, I was updating the community hallway in the library today and I heard uproarious laughter and shrieking coming from the girls bathroom. I went inside and it had, sure enough, turned into the Provo High School bathroom in a matter of seconds. Hairspray, tons of eyeliner, and the ever popular butt-showing lowriders. Since it was during school I kindly asked the girls what they were doing at the library during school hours. (I should point out that were all 15 year old sassy latino girls - it doesn't really matter, but it helps you imagine it) "Um, like somebody dropped us off, 'djou know?" "We just had to use the bathroom."

"So, you're done by now, right?"

At this point they all looked a little nervous and one of them bolted into the bathroom. When she came out a few minues later she had a pregnancy test and she looked really relieved. But then her friend said to her "No, you have to wait three minutes stupit". It was killer.

My first thought was 'oh my heck, she needs help' So old lady library kicked in and I went through all of the adoption resources we had in the library and all of the pamphlets on dealing with teen pregnancy (not that we have many, really this is provo). But then I thought 'if she isn't pregnant she needs to know about how to not get pregnant!' But then I knew I would get fired for sure. I was just so struck with how young she was and how much she didn't know about having a baby, or not having a baby (obviously, since she was taking a pregnancy test). Eak.

So, ultimately I decided to let them have their moment alone in the bathroom and I don't know how things turned out. I realized that If I were to be High School librarian and I got to know the kids it would be hard for me to remain objective about their personal lives. Can you imagine coming home from school and telling your parents that your High School librarian had talked to you about contraceptives...can you say fired? Well, for sure here anyway. I don't know. I don't mind saying that I think abstinence only sex education is ridiculous and I can't beleive the government funds it. But maybe my job isn't worth that issue? But really, when you think about this lives of teens and their possible unborn children...maybe it is? Not yet I guess. I'll wait 'till I'm a sassy old woman with nothing to loose and some serious clout to swing around.

2 comments:

Jentry said...

Oh my word, it just makes you heart sick and terrified and I want to say grateful and disgusted all at the same time. I think you handled it beautifully.

Jenn said...

What a great moment for you Brookie. Look how responsible and all grown up you behaved-just kidding I knew you would behave the right way. Isn't it crazy how young the crap starts. I just might lock my kids in their rooms forever!