Friday, February 1, 2008

Yucky Romance Writer Quote of the Day

"In essence, I want to feel smart, not actually be smart."


Quoth a young Romance Writer/Romance Agent. She is referencing the type of reading she likes to do that will "teach her something...but not really"

She goes on to say "Take Grisham’s books, for example. Specifically, THE FIRM. That was an incredibly easy book to read, but he never spoke down to the reader. Grisham made people feel smart. As if they were “in the know.” A door was opened, and it was very welcoming. We could feel smart about lawyer stuff without having to have gone through any of that time consuming and headache inducing law school business." you know...learning something for real.

Snarky Snark Snark, I know. I'm all about easy access books, but not for the purpose of making someone "feel smart" but not have to actually deal with that pesky burden of learning something and actually "be(ing) smart". Awesome.

Oh my land. I just read this in the same article. Is this the height of stupidity?

"Often what makes me feel smart when reading is when I’m given tiny little pieces of insider language. {fair enough says brooke...go on } I don’t even need to understand the word or words, oddly enough, but if well-written and I get the meaning from the context, I feel smarter because I could actually use those words-I-don’t-understand in a sentence! {oh no she didn't} I could make other people feel dumb for not knowing those words! YeeHaaa! (Oh, sorry, did I type that last bit out loud?)" Yuck Yuck Yuck and double Yuck. It's an awful combination of vanity and idiotness - yes, that's a word.

No comments: